*those white cloud-looking things behind the buildings are the Sierras!I have been in Spain now for 2 weeks and yet, it seems so much longer. We are in the midst of our first full week of classes, and I am adjusting to the new life I live. The hardest adjustments have been the meals and the time schedule. I am enjoying them though, and am relishing the free time that I have right now. It an unfamiliar blessing.
Each day I am constantly shown how much I need to learn. Learning the Spanish that real people use can be very different than the information that I have learned from the textbooks. The Spanish of Spain can also vary considerably from Latin American Spanish, the kind we are usually taught in the US. At times, it can be a very humbling experience, but I am excited for the semester ahead of me. Right now I attend classes four hours a day and constantly am surrounded by Spanish. I study it on my own, speak it on the streets or bother my Señora with vocabulary of the kitchen while she is trying to prepare lunch.
Sunday Annie and I went to a church that caters to the international crowd. There were a lot of students there from all over, but many natives were attending as well. The youth (anyone 15-30 years old) have many opportunities to hangout. I am excited to build relationships with them and get more involved. It will help me to grow spiritually as well as learn Spanish!

No comments:
Post a Comment