Monday, January 12, 2009

Toledo


It may be comical, but over and over I feel like I could be in Narnia. The places simply can’t be real, but a part of a story book. Toledo is a beautiful city located on the top of a hill with a castle as its crowning glory. It is the city of three cultures with evidence of Christianity, Judaism, and Islam intermingled in everything.


I am trying to comprehend the fact that I am walking some of the same streets and buildings of the great Catholic Rulers, Ferdinand and Isabel; those that commissioned Columbus. That’s right. All of you know who he is.


We are learning some important things while on our tours. For example, to get a boyfriend in Toledo a girl must prick herself with a pin and then offer it to one of the Virgin Saints (I forgot her name!). You think I’m kidding, but I saw the altar and all the pins.


I had my first experience with getting free tapas here. You simply order a drink and then are served a small plate of food to go with it. It is a lot of fun and adds a nice variety when you don’t get to choose your own meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment