Thursday, February 26, 2009

Life as usual



Please let me tell you some of the things God has brought into my life. I continually say that He is teaching me things and here are some examples of how easy He has made it for me. Earlier this week a friend told us that she is searching for God. She doesn’t know Him yet, but she wants to and is so excited to learn and get into the world and discover who He really is for her. Last night, I went for tapas with our newest Italian roommates. We talked about all kinds of things, all in Spanish of course, but the conversation centered around religion for quite a while. Did you know that Italians, at least the ones these girls know, think that there is no religion left in the United States? That no one believes in God? That’s what the movies show them. They asked me all kinds of questions and I was able to completely share my faith, my views on life, and my heartbreak over the state of our world. I learned a lot about their lives as well, and was surprised to have some of my own stereotypes shattered. These encounters have been eye-opening and confidence building. God is alive and working and still chasing after the hearts of His creation. What’s great is that He’s allowing me to be a part of it all.


And on to life as usual…I have traveled many places, seeing the old, the beautiful, and the cultural, but everyday here in Granada is worth talking about. I feel like my life is one big adventure!


Classes are classes, but it is freeing to be able to forget about my grades and fully delight in learning.

My work at the hospital grows more enjoyable as my relationships with the fellow workers develop. The teachers are very kind and want to help us learn. They seem delighted whenever we enter the room and ask heartfelt questions about our lives. The kids are precious and I have been able to help with a lot of English homework. Yesterday was the Day of AndalucĂ­a, the region where Granada is located. We spent the day learning about each of the provinces and decorating visors with the regional flag. It was a lot of fun.


The hospital has also been a great place to meet people my own age. Having Spanish friends is a goal rarely realized by Americans, yet one of the most important parts of learning the language. 3 girls are completing their practicums in the hospital and we have been able to build friendships through that. Next week we already have specific plans to hangout outside of the hospital. I am very excited!


Outside of school and work I keep myself busy as well. I have an intercambio, or language partner, that I meet with once a week. We spend an hour each speaking Spanish and English. It has been a great opportunity to learn about the culture of Spain as well as accustom myself to the local accent, and expressions of the street. I have learned about holidays, politics, and even have recipes. It is a great eye-opener as well to see how difficult it is to listen to someone struggle through my native language, and also a relief to realize that I am not the only person learning.


In the house we are continuing to cycle through short-term roommates, some more enjoyable than others. By the end of this semester I’ll have gotten quite a taste for Europe! The current ones are from Italy, though one is originally from Ukraine. These brief interactions in themselves are great blessings and simply add to my experience here in Granada.


Other nights are occupied with tapas or coffee with other people from my program. It is fun now that we are able to all speak in Spanish, or at least have the confidence to try. For example, without any classes I will have spent more than 8 hours speaking in Spanish today. That does not include the time that Annie and I speak together, which we try to do during the day. It’s awesome.


I strongly believe that God put me in this place to teach me innumerous things about Him, the world, people and myself. It is absolutely astounding. To sum it up, each day is full of exciting possiblities, and I am trying my best to fully enjoy each moment.



No comments:

Post a Comment